On an average Saturday night in London you’ll find award-winning Swedish mixologist Fredrik Olsson crafting world-class cocktails for discerning mouths at Kosmopol, a boutique speakeasy nearby Chelsea’s Stamford Bridge.
His trade in high demand, Olsson last month made an epicurean pilgrimage to Katamama Resort, Bali, home of Akademi Bar. There he crafted a series of signature cocktails melding fine Ballantine’s whisky with classic Indonesian flavours. His quest to inspire new palates has inspired us – now, let it inspire you to mix a glass (or three) of Bali By the Sea.
Calling for vanilla-infused Arak, fresh mangosteen and plenty of citrus, this Javanese pleaser animates the bold character of Ballantine’s whisky to create something satin-light, frothy, and refreshingly tropical. It will serve as the perfect companion to Australia’s last few balmy weekend afternoons. Here’s how you make it:
Bali By the Sea (makes 1 cocktail)
- 30ml Ballantine’s Finest Blended Scotch Whisky (or similar Ballantine’s)
- 30ml vanilla-infused Arak
- Dash of mangosteen juice
- 1 egg white
- Citrus fruit juice of your choice to taste, and for garnish
- Standard measuring jigger
- Cocktail shaker
- Cocktail strainer
- Large seashell (or martini glass)
- Combine whisky, Arak, mangosteen juice, egg white and citrus fruit in shaker
- Dry shake (without ice) approximately fifteen seconds
- Add ice to shaker and shake for another fifteen seconds
- Strain into seashell or martini glass
- Serve with a string of seaweed and a slice of citrus
Try the famous cocktails for yourself with a stay at Katamama Resort. Find the best price here.